PERSONAL LEADERSHIP BRAND
So, how to define your own personal leadership brand?
Step 1. DEFINE YOUR VALUES
- Ask yourself the following questions.
What do I stand for? When I need to make a tough decision, what are the principles I look to? What are the life experiences that I have had that have shaped who I am? What have I learned about myself and others from these? Who are my role models? What values do I admire most in my role models?
- Ask people around what values you show and how you make them feel.
Our values show through our behaviours and actions and people around us can usually tell us where we stand.
- Proactively define your core values
Be sure you're willing to "walk the talk" on these values and they resonate to you deeply.
Step 2. IDENTIFY YOUR STRENGTHS
- Identify strengths & talents that result from your core values and distinguish you from others
When we split off our values from our talents, or vice versa, we compromise purpose and enduring performance. Therefore, it is important to ensure their consistency
Step 3. HOW CAN YOU PLAY TO YOUR STRENGTH?
- Identify behaviours that would translate your values into actions. Be consistent and committed to these behaviours.
- Identify percentage of your time you spend on each behaviour – use the list attached called 'behaviours'
Step 4. COMPLETE YOUR LEADERSHIP PIRAMID WITH YOUR BRAND ESSENCE
- Leadership Brand essence is the intersection where our talents and our values come together. It is the way we align our passion and our talents with our core purpose and can be expressed in one sentence.
Links: Managing for people who hate managing